The digital signage world has seen a lot of improvements over the last few years. From having computer based foundations, the solutions are moving towards mobiles- rapidly. This means signage users no longer have to log on to computers to control boards and displays. A few smartphone clicks will accomplish the same goal.
Steve, expert on digital signage at a leading UK vendor, Videonations, explains that “most mobile digital signage solutions make it possible for you to create interactive, beautiful and dynamic screens in any environment, without any technical skill requirements. All you need is the right tools and a bit of knowledge”
Below are steps to achieving mobile control.
- The first step is to choose a digital signage solution that supports your mobile operating system. Some of the providers only offer solutions for certain mobile platforms, whilst others serve the major platforms (Android, Windows, iOS). If you find the perfect provider, it may be a good decision to invest in a platform they support if you are not on said platform. On this site we have a page to help you to compare android tablets and choose one if you intend to manage through an android-based solution, but currently only have iOS devices.
- Choose your screen. There are many options to choose from but you need to keep in mind that televisions don’t always work. Depending on the size of your business, you may have to invest in special digital screens to get the best out of your investment.
- Download the app for your chosen platform. Most signage platforms require an app to work so you need to download the app offered by the provider for your smartphone operating system.
- Create an online account. This account is vital for the app to work. For some providers, you can create the account straight from the app and for others you may have to create the account on a website.
- Create your content playlist. This is the videos, images, text, and other content that you intend to display on the screen(s). The content is typically uploaded to a designated webpage, which can be accessed with the details of your online account.
- Copy the player code to the app. After you create a content playlist, your provider will provide you with a code or key. This is meant to be entered into the mobile app on your smartphone, or tablet. When the code is entered, the content you created will be synchronised with the app and you can start broadcasting to the screen.
Now, depending on what type of screen you are using, you may be required to connect to the screen with an RCA, HDMI or VGA connection. In some cases, mobile internet connections may be required, and in others, the Bluetooth or NFC capability of your smartphone or tablet is all you need. These are additional considerations you must take into account when matching your signage provider and your control devices.
You should now have a better idea of how to use your smartphone to control your company signage messages.